Tuesday, June 26, 2007

She told me to do it....

A while ago, Scooter tells me a rumor about a wool ball with multiple colors, cut in half. Another knitter had seen this in some shop far away and it was special and beautiful.
Um OK I say.
She asks, "Do you have any idea how this wonderful thing was done? I must make one"
So I go about explaining wet felting with roving and just making a ball and adding on to it, then ta-da felt ball. Easy, right?

Well, we pick colors and off she goes to her kitchen to make felted balls (wonder what kind of Google hits that will get me!).

It didn't work. My bad. I didn't realize she had never worked with roving AT ALL and did not know to pull and fluff a bit before making her ball..... and was getting things that did indeed look like balls (if you know what I mean)( or maybe heineys.)

Annoyed and frustrated she hands back the wool to me and says "Here, You Do It"
And because she is a good woman and I like to humor her I said "OK".

Bit by bit I built the ball (more Google hits) she wanted BUT refused to cut.

"I'll bring everything over and YOU do it" I said.

I felt a little woozy as she electric knifed into the beautiful ROUND ball.But it was good.And she is happy.

They needed a bit of wet felting to smooth the cut, but look good. In fact sitting on her kitchen window sill, they look like woolly geodes. Ultimately, one will be gifted to a sewing friend as a pin cushion and the other will stay with herself to sit on the sill and look like a geode

OTN: the 2nd sock of love, a gift for a friend and planning projects

Other than that.... its swim lessons every day. The humidity is high and my brain is leaking out my ears, really. You would think I'd be better at updating, but my brain is MUSH.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh, I love your knitted geodes! That would be a great gift for a geologist!

3:50 PM, June 26, 2007  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

OK....love how you told that! I've felt humid, yucky heat that was bad enough to make your brains leak out your ears....I feel for ya.

7:22 PM, June 26, 2007  
Blogger Tala said...

Waaay cool! I will email you back, but the AC adapter on my laptop went, and I only have so much battery power on it. So I have to sneak downstairs (shhh) to get on the desktop to do anything! I have to meet with the Y lady about the job, I'll email you later today!

7:43 AM, June 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I must make one.

8:29 PM, June 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home