Friday, November 20, 2009

Getting ready for winter

I love cowls for the winter. I call them mufflers since they "muffle" the boy's voice . Cowls don't drag on the ground or get all mucky. There is no end to grab and choke. They are the perfect winter accessory. I really needed to do a new cowl for Poquito this winter and found Windschief- perfect!
I did the smallest size and used yarn I reclaimed from KnitBoss's ex-boyfriend sweater. (it was not just the sweater curse. The guy was a jerk) Anyway, the yarn is great, Karabella Luna, a discontinued superwash in the perfect little boy blue.I didn't do the Windschief hat yet since Poquito wears baseball hats all year round, but really wanted some nice mittens to match. Something with a flip top that he can use at the bus stop or recess and Laura Nelkin's Flip Top mittens were the ticket !Actually the pattern calls for a fingering weight yarn and I was using a worsted but a quick swatch on 5's gave me 6spi which worked perfect for knitting the smallest size mittens. I needed no other mods. I love her patterns. Seriously well written.
Here he is modeling both, just waiting for the colder weather.

I'll do some regular mittens next and use the same yarn & numbers. Now fingers crossed we actually get some snow this year and it does not all go north again!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Great projects! I hadn't thought of a cowl for my kiddos-love it! Cute photos! Let it snow!!!

6:52 PM, November 20, 2009  
Blogger Monika said...

I prefer cowls and neck warmers to scarves too. I like Windschief too. It looks perfect for your boy! And so far we've got no snow. Just a dusting once, and it was gone fast. What's happening? I want snow!!!

8:34 PM, November 20, 2009  
Blogger Tola said...

Glenn Hurricane Schwartz says lots of snow in Jan and Feb.

9:47 PM, November 20, 2009  
Blogger Michele Carey Moody said...

So cute this is THE in thing for this season!!!!! LOVE IT can I send Wool and requests == To those who knit I bow down to you I do not have the power. :))))))

10:21 PM, November 20, 2009  
Blogger Michele Carey Moody said...

NBB saw pic of the Mayor and totally loves it and agin the questions for the playdate with the whole family including the puppy dogs and that includes Gunnar. Love and Kisses the NY Cats

10:23 PM, November 20, 2009  
Blogger sara said...

What a precious model! I'm casting on for my first cowl today!

8:48 AM, November 21, 2009  
Blogger Laura Nelkin said...

Love the set! and the model... he is wearing those woolies with style! Thanks for the kind words Colleen!

10:37 AM, November 21, 2009  
Blogger Charity said...

What a handsome guy! Very cool set - I've been feeling the cowl/muffler urge myself, lately. :o)

4:51 PM, November 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home