Monday, March 03, 2008

Noro Socks

I traded Nicole for this yarn and I’m pretty glad I didn’t spend $19.95. While I really love the colors, the knitting experience did not compensate. I guess I've come to expect certain things of my sock yarn. Not that I'm a yarn snob- heck I've crocheted baskets out of twine and nylon cord, but not on tiny needles. I guess that's the big difference -( needle) size maters.

I used my standard 60 stitch cuff down sock, with slip stitch heel.

The yarn is super thread thin in spots (N. had breakage issues, I did not) and slubby in other spots to the point of making the stitches themselves hard to see. (especially on the purl row of the slip stitch heel)


Can you see the slubs in this last picture? It does give the plain sock some texture to go with the color...

Noro is a single strand with a lot of twist which meant that the yarn did not pull smoothly from the skein- it kept getting tangled and knotting on itself- very annoying.
Also, the socks are finished and still pretty rough- I have not washed them yet but when I tried them on I really noticed a lack of elasticity in the yarn (the cuff is already saggy).

I wore them to school today (kids loved the non matchyness and color) and they are comfortable, but a bit more saggy/inelastic than I like. Perhaps if there is a next time, I'll switch to 0's? (but there is the size issue again...)

specs: Noro Socks

Pattern: standard 60 stitch cuff down sock with slip stitch heel

Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock color S182

Needles: 1's- 2 circs

I don't know... I've read so many rave reviews on this yarn I wonder what's my problem? I really do love the colors and how they transition- I might try to do that with some spinning. But the crazy inconsistency of the yarn and its harshness plus small needles = no future purchases by me.
What do you think?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

I've read that other people have had similar experiences with the Noro sock yarn... it's too bad, I was pretty excited about it. The finished socks are super cute, though! :0)

6:05 PM, March 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been too anxious to try the Noro sock yarn; I don't find their yarns to be very soft at all and just figured I'd wait to hear what others had to say. So far, I haven't heard many good comments; I don't think I'll be running out to buy it anytime soon.

That being said, the colors are BEAUTIFUL!

7:37 PM, March 03, 2008  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

I love the colors but if it doesn't soften up considerably I won't be buying it. I hate slubs in sock yarn. I can handle a couple but if they are all over in the yarn it drives me crazy!

10:25 PM, March 03, 2008  
Blogger Tola said...

i am liking my Noro socks. i used a half-size larger needle than i normally use, did 64 stitches and 2x2 ribbing on the cuff. since the yarn isnt superwash, i am counting on the socks to shrink/felt just a bit, hopefully compensating for the non-softness. i did pay the retail price for my ball, but it's unlikely ill buy another one. unless i see a colorway i simply *must* possess.

12:41 AM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Tala said...

I love my Noro sock so far - yeah, it's a bit inelastic, but I haven't had too much trouble with slubs or really thin spots. I'm not done the first sock yet, but I'm looking forward to starting the second sock as soon as I'm done. I did go from my usual size 2 needles to size 1's, and went from 64 stitches to 72, but have had no other issues. I'd buy more!

9:37 AM, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I abhor noro - and I even pondered giving the sock yarn a chance, but just could not bring myself to after I touched it. I'm sorry you were disappointed with it - really though, for 20 bucks, at least get a yarn you love!

6:35 PM, March 05, 2008  
Blogger Teyani said...

You know, given your review of the harshness of this yarn, I think I will avoid it. I have heard this complaint again and again... and I want softness on my feet :-)
They are really pretty to look at, and the color changes brilliant - but just not my kind of yarn for socks. (grin)

thanks so much for you recent comment on my blog too!

9:43 PM, March 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Job!! I also want colorful knitting socks for my favorite shoes.

4:10 AM, April 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home