Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Weaving Wednesday

A while ago, Sandra (blogless) showed me some squares she did on a weave-it. They were beautiful, took very little yarn and had a wonderful drape. That is all it took, the seed was planted and slowly I became obsessed with weaving and especially triangle looms.


Well, I ordered a 7 foot adjustable loom and it came last week. Knit Boss came over for the set up and first weave. We did a tandem weave thing and this is what we did in just 2 hrs...This is Knit Boss doing a crochet edge before we took it off the loom.

Next try is more of the same yarn, but with 2 colors of blue. Check out how it automatically makes a plaid !This time I did 2 tri's, one on top of the other, sewed them along the hypotenuse and made a small plaid blanket. Its 45 inches along the straight corners, made out of Plymouth Encore. The weave is pretty open and since the yarn is not all wool, it won't full/felt so it will snag pretty easily.I'm still trying different yarns and want to explore different weaving methods. I'm doing a continuous weave right now. That means I can weave from a center pull ball, no pre-warping the loom

Here is the seam along the center of the blanket.


Next I'm trying some Schaefer "Miss Priss" worsted in Greenjeans. You can see the weave is still pretty open, but since it's 100% wool, I plan on fulling to get a more cohesive fabric.

I'm looking for a worsted that is thicker, but don't want a bulky yarn. um, at least I don't think so. I'll try some Lamb's Pride worsted next. And then doubling the yarn for a basket weave. And then maybe pre-warping + continuous weave. And then making some smaller tri's and putting together for a quilt..

And then...
And then....
And then.... :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous sUsAn said...

That is so COOL!!! The possibilities are endless! Enjoy!

6:31 PM, June 17, 2009  
Blogger Julie said...

Pretty blankie, and what a fun way to use yarn leftovers! Or give you an excuse to buy more yarn. Win/win!

6:44 PM, June 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too cool! How do you find the time to do all that you do? You're amazing!

7:51 PM, June 17, 2009  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Looks like fun! Sounds like you're having a grand adventure with the new loom! :)
I'll just tell myself "no you don't need another hobby" *fingers in my ears* lalalalala (so I can't hear your enabling.....lol)

10:31 PM, June 17, 2009  
Blogger Tala said...

See - I've been trying to resist the siren song of weaving, and now I'm even more tempted! Because a loom is just what I need in my cramped house with a newly crawling Henry!

Gorgeous blanket, by the way...and now I have to go save Henry from himself! We need to get together sometime!

11:51 AM, June 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home