Thursday, October 11, 2007

Opinions Requested

This is the Three Squares and Two Sleeves sweater in Creative Knitting, Nov 07 I think this would be great for this winter, slopping about at home or with my pre-schoolers. BUT I don't like this yarn ( Lion Brand Romance, 85% acrylic,15% mohair) and it only comes in 4 colors. bleh.
I was looking at
yarn instead. Its Suri Dream from Knit Picks. 74% Suri Alpaca, 22% Peruvian Highland Wool, 4% Nylon . Super soft, plus it comes in a ton more colors... I think I'll pick Stone or Black Forest.
I'm reasonably certain I can get gauge. My question is-- will it be "too furry"? and make me looke like a Wookie? or maybe an Ewok (since I'm vertically challenged) Or will it be the soft and squishy sweater I live in this winter?
Anyone? Whatdoyouthink?
I have the Knit Picks web site up and ready to order....or not.
I got 1 ok do it and 1 Ewok. GAH!
Has anyone seen or worked with the Suri Dream???? Can you let me know the level of "furr"?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Hahahaha, you finally ask for an opinion! What did you set yourself up for?!?

I think it would be an okay substitution - the original is supposed to be "furry", right, because of the mohair, so I think the suri alpaca would be a good change.

Always happy to enable another knitter! :0)

2:22 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Tala said...

Ewok. Definitely Ewok. Because of the relative shapelessness of the sweater, making it in a fluffy yarn will lead to definite Ewokness. I would go with a smooth yarn, or a sweater with a bit more shaping (although I do agree it would probably be great for "slopping"!)

Just my opinion. Although I guess if you go with the Suri, go black.

2:46 PM, October 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough decision. I've never worked with the Suri, but it would seem like a good substitution to me. Good luck making a decision :)

7:51 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

I think the Suri is going to give you more fuzz then you want. I'd order one, swatch it to see if you like it. Personally I'd use a smoother yarn but I'm not much on fuzzy yarn. Good luck!

10:07 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Nicole said...

The suri dream is going to give you more fuzz then you want. I am using it as part of a blanket and it looks great but it is an accent. The Suri Dream would not give you the stitch definition that you would want. Not a good substitution.

11:13 PM, October 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home