Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saturday Sky + Dyeing

Warning! Picture heavy post!

The Sky on the way to pick up Amanda for our dyeing class at Loop (no Officer, I'm not taking pictures while driving....)

On the way we saw some Peter Pan buses. (never saw them around before) In fact there were 3 Peter Pan buses and we were almost squashed! Of course Amanda quips "We're a Peter Pan sandwich!" ouch
We got there without any mishaps- this time. We even found on street parking without a meter! Free parking!
Finally at Loop we meet Beth Casey of Lorna's Laces, dying goddess. She talked about how she got into the business and where she gets her color inspiration and dying yarn of course!
This class was so cool.... we dyed 2 skeins of LL's Shepherd Sock each. I always thought dyeing would be so messy ( and Craig the owner crazy since the shop is all WHITE) but it was pretty contained. We used lots of plastic wrap, aprons and gloves of course. Just splash and squish..

Here is a picture of Amanda working on her wool.
And here is me! (notice I employ the 2 finger squish method)


Once I got home I nuked my sausage of dyed yarn to set the color, then rinsed. Here ya go: I think I was too ambitious with the colors... maybe I should have only used 3? But they were all so cool looking and I thougt I was being reserved using only 4 of the 6 choices.. maybe I should have just gone for it and done a bit of all 6....anyway I have a bit of knowledge now so watch out!

It was lots of fun and I learned its not as messy as I thought and totally do-able in my kitchen. I see more dyeing in my future.

(uh-oh. need more supplies....)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger sUsAn said...

How cool! I love LL's sock yarn! Looking forward to seeing how yours knits up.

5:22 PM, October 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to see how your newly dyed yarn knits up! I don't think you used too many colors!

5:57 AM, October 22, 2007  
Blogger Kristy said...

Oh I think the four colors are just right. So pretty. I can't wait to see it reskeined or balled....to see all of the colors intermingled. Beautiful work, as usual. What kind of dyes did you use?

1:31 PM, October 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home