Saturday, May 10, 2008

The 300 Hat Project

Really. 300 hats.

Kristy is going to the Ukraine in September and will be "working with several orphanages in the town of Rivne. In particular, there is an orphanage there for special needs children – those with mental and physical disabilities, that don’t have a place at other orphanages in the area."

A hat would be like receiving a Christmas present for these kids. They have little or nothing to call their own and it gets COLD. So I'm calling all knitters to PLEASE, PLEASE take an hour or 2 of your knitting time and make a hat.

I will be the East Coast collection point PLUS host a contest! Many cool prizes! (to be announced later).

Prizes will be awarded for most hats donated, our favorite hat (1 for me, 1 for Kristy) and a random number generated hat.

How to enter:
1 ticket for each hat donated
1 ticket for each blog mention (really. mention it weekly OK?)

Kristy's LYS is even helping out with free shipping for hat yarn (mention you're knitting hats for the Ukraine) and a PRIZE! How cool is that? Just call Kaylee at Hooks & Needles to find out what's in stock.

Specifics:
All size hats welcome.
Warmth and comfort are top priority, so wool or blends. (face it, they barely have electricity let alone a washer to felt hats.) Issues with wool? Any natural fiber will do.
I must recieve all hats by August 28 (plenty of time to get them to Kristy)
Kristy needs 300 hats, so I'd like to send her 150 from this side if the USA.

When you are ready to send in your hats, drop a note and I'll send you my mailing addy (link to my email on the right)

Hat drawing will be held sometime in the middle of September.

Help us out, will ya?

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I'm in and already have a couple I can donate!

2:56 PM, May 10, 2008  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

You can count on me! I have lots of wool leftovers that should be perfect for hats. You know I'll be giving you shout outs on my blog. I just had an "ah ha" moment, I may be able to get rid of some of that fun fur by using it as hat trimmings....woot!

8:12 PM, May 10, 2008  
Blogger Devonelectric said...

I'd like to do it, any hat patterns you can recommend, as I've never made one before, believe it or not.

10:50 PM, May 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, wrong account! I'm at http://knitv.com

10:51 PM, May 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an great project! I am definitely in for at least a few hats.

7:22 AM, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Charity said...

It's awesome you're supporting Kristy this way! I definitely have plans for a few hats of my own. :0)

11:35 AM, May 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 3 or 4 small hats ready to go. I knit them for another charity, then found out (luckily, before I mailed them), that it was a bad idea.

6:04 PM, May 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to do this. I've been knitting preemie hats, so I'll just make them a little bigger!

4:37 PM, May 13, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

You can count me in!

8:09 AM, May 14, 2008  
Blogger Mick said...

I hate to sound like a goober, but.. so.. no acrylic, right? What about something like Wool-Ease? I've been looking for a great project to use up some of my yarns and I think this is the one, but I don't want to do a disservice to these people by making hats they won't benefit from.

10:33 PM, May 14, 2008  
Blogger Kristy said...

Mick and anyone else who was wondering...I left this comment on Mick's blog but thought others might be wondering, too.

I saw your comment on RC's post about my hat project. The Wool-Ease will be just fine for the kids. I can't remember the percentage of fibers but I know it has some wool in it and that should be enough add a bit of warmth. I know without a doubt that hats made of Wool-Ease will be much loved. In fact, I know a few knitters who can't work with animal fibers of any kind and I've encouraged them to knit cotton or microfiber or whatever they see fit. Thank you for your enthusiasm!

Thanks again, RC, for your help!

3:14 PM, May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Count me in, although since I'm on the west coast, I'll send my hats directly to Kristy. And I just linked to your post (and Kristy's post, and the ravelry group) from my blog.

11:46 PM, May 15, 2008  
Blogger Ally Jay said...

I would really love to contrubute to this. I can donate a couple of hats already. Do you want baby ones too? Let me know where to send them.

4:15 AM, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm in...Julie mentioned this on her blog...and I'd love to help out...

I'll post a note on my blog about it too...

4:40 PM, May 27, 2008  
Blogger Mama said...

I posted your project on my sidebar : )

2:08 PM, May 28, 2008  
Blogger Sara said...

Silly me...I can't find your e-mail address and I have 18 hats ready to go!!!! With a promise of 5 more on Wednesday..

2:19 PM, June 22, 2008  
Blogger Veronica said...

I posted four hats to you today. Nothing special but they're on their way!

5:38 PM, June 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home